500 Server Error

Come here for help or to post comments on Sphider
owebsmart

500 Server Error

Post by owebsmart »

hi

Getting this up and running, but when I index a site we get a 500 Internal Server Error. My error logs however are not reporting an error.
I then thought this was likely a file permissions issue. I have changed all the folders under admin to 755 but its still not working.

Could you give me some insight as to what the permissions need to be for the script?

when it indexes it goes to the sphider.php page and shows with the 500 server error.

I used the previous sphider quite a bit so I am familiar with the program, but this is baffling me.

Appreciate the help....
captquirk
Site Admin

Re: 500 Server Error

Post by captquirk »

Check this previous post...
viewtopic.php?t=207

Unfortunately, the 500 error does not show up in the logs. The log writes after a status report from the server, but a 500 error is a failure to get a response, including getting a status report!

Post back if you still have problems.
owebsmart

Post by owebsmart »

tx! I have tried what you suggest with no success.

I have also tried renamming htaccess and robots text files to see if they were interferring. no success.
the only difference was the length of time before the message was greater.

I have my php variables for running scripts pretty high.

The old version of sphider I have, running on php 5.4 still indexes, but its slow.

Both installations are on the same server, just different cpanel accounts

I have asked our vps vendor, their advice was to do the htaccess and robots renaming just to see what happens.

the installation of this script is on php 8.0

other than the indexing the script appears to work well!

I have only had it index one of our sites once since I installed it.

any thoughts?
captquirk
Site Admin

Post by captquirk »

PM me with the URL of the site you are trying to index and I'll see what happens from my end. Then maybe we can figure out a solution.

I hate 500 errors... :(
pixeltraitor

Post by pixeltraitor »

Try running the search/admin/version_update.php

I had updated my directory but was using an existing DB and was getting an odd 500 with no error message on the server side whenever I'd try to index. After debugging I looked back through the documentation and ran across the upgrade instructions and gave the update a shot.

It executed without a problem after that.