Images are not being added to the results

Come here for help or to post comments on Sphider
KadeM

Images are not being added to the results

Post by KadeM »

Hello.
I've got Sphider working, and the results for the pages are great - but none of the images are being added to the database.
There are many images on the site displayed via html, and all have "alt" tags with descriptors. A few of the images have added metadata (I was thinking the lack of that might be issue) but that hasn't changed anything.
Example results:
Currently in database: 12 sites, 58 links, 2 categories, 2535 keywords and 0 images.
Most images are .jpg; some gifs.
Any suggestions?
Thank you in advance!
captquirk
Site Admin

Re: Images are not being added to the results

Post by captquirk »

Is this an initial index run or a re-index run? Sphider will not index images during a re-index unless there was a change in the page since the last run.
Also, index images must be checked in settings.
Also, SOMETIMES the image referenced will have a different source from the domain being indexed. For example, the page is xyz.com but the images are abc.com or images.xyz.com. Then you need to allow foreign images.
And the last thing I can think of is that the robots.txt does not allow image indexing or maybe does not allow2 the image directory to be indexed. Ignoring robots.txt is then an option. However, unless the web site is your own, I do NOT recommend this. Wishes of the web site owner should be respected.

If none of this helps, PM me with the site in question and I will test it to see if I can detect the issue.
captquirk
Site Admin

Re: Images are not being added to the results

Post by captquirk »

For anyone curious as to the outcome, an issue was found in the PHP configuration. "Allow_url_fopen" was set to "Off". Changing this value to "On" resolved many issues.
This can be done either by editing the php.ini file, or through CPanel.