Missing lines in search ressults

Come here for help or to post comments on Sphider
jmpbearattack

Missing lines in search ressults

Post by jmpbearattack »

Hi, I have not been able to figure out what causes the following issue. If you look at the attached picture for some html pages it includes the line showing where it found the item being searched for and for others it does not. As far as I have been able to figure out it seems that it either does it for a specific html page all the time (meaning for anything you search for on that page) or it does not do it at all for a html page. These html pages are all generated the same way so I guess that it is not the page, but I will do some more testing. If anybody has an idea what the issue could be let me know. Any help and/or suggestions are appreciated.

I had to upgrade to the latest version from Sphider as my provider did not support the php version anymore of the version I was using. The issue above did not happen with the older version I was using. Have been a fan of Sphider for many years :)

Regards, JMP
Attachments
SearchResults.jpg
SearchResults.jpg (121.77 KiB) Viewed 15311 times
captquirk
Site Admin

Re: Missing lines in search ressults

Post by captquirk »

I will investigate and let you know what I find.
Which version are you running?
captquirk
Site Admin

Post by captquirk »

BAscreen.png
BAscreen.png (95.04 KiB) Viewed 15307 times
settings.png
settings.png (116.44 KiB) Viewed 15307 times
This is what I get using the settings seen above. This is using SphiderLite 1.3.0.

If you use a different version and settings, let me know and I will check it.
jmpbearattack

Post by jmpbearattack »

Hi, I made 2 changes in the settings to make them the same, but unfortunately that did not change anything.
I am using version 3.5.2 and it was a new install as the version I used previously was very old.

Regards, JMP.
captquirk
Site Admin

Post by captquirk »

Okay. It may be the the full text of the affected pages did not properly get put in the database. This is due to an issue discovered with determining page character sets. This is corrected in 3.6.0, but there is an easy hack for 3.5.2.

In admin/spider.php, line 484, find:
$fulltxt = removeEmoji($fulltxt); // Remove emojis
Comment out this line, as such:
// $fulltxt = removeEmoji($fulltxt); // Remove emojis
Then, on the sites screen, Options. Then Clear site. Finally, do a full index. The full text should then be present.
Do not just do a Re-index. Since pages likely have not changed, the full text will not be picked up.

(In the event you prefer to update to 3.6.0, you will still need to Clear site and do a fresh full index.)

If the issue persists, post back. We WILL get you fixed up!
jmpbearattack

Post by jmpbearattack »

Fantastic that did the job. Many thanks.
I have two questions. Do you have a bigger sphider-logo that is displayed on the bottom. The current one is tiny and I do not mind advertising for this search engine as I think it is great.
Second how difficult is it to upgrade to the latest version. I am using only the basic stuff so is it even necessary?

Once again thanks a lot.
Regards, JMP
captquirk
Site Admin

Post by captquirk »

Very happy that worked out for you.

Upgrades are always encouraged as each new release is more liable to include minor improvements and bug fixes than new features.

Upgrades are really quite easy. Download the newest version, extract it somewhere out of the way.
Read the changelog. Note any files which may have changed since your current version. (In your case, note the files changed in both 3.5.3 and 3.6.0) Copy the new version of the changed files to your active Sphider. Log out of Sphider if you haven't already.
Lastly, run admin/version_update.php from your browser, which syncs the new version number into the database. It is VERY rare for the database structure to be updated, but IF there is, version_update.php does that for you. It is cumulative, so you don't need to worry about upgrading two or more versions.

However, do NOT try to upgrade a MB version to a Lite version, or vice versa. The database structure is different. (Couple fewer tables and the settings table is different.) Nevertheless, if ALL you really need is the very basic Sphider (no RSS indexing, no image indexing), SphiderLite would be a good fit and it is a bit more compact. Just do a new install.

Regarding the Sphider logo... sorry, nothing bigger available at this time.

HAPPY 2021!
jmpbearattack

Post by jmpbearattack »

Thanks again and happy New Year.
Regards, JMP.